Wow what a night of sports Tuesday was. It really is a sports fan ultimate time of year. I was worried I’d wake up in the morning with a case of RCTT (Remote Control Thumb Tendinitis). Here’s some thoughts on what transpired in the Metroplex and beyond….
* If there’s any doubt left of Dirk’s true superstar status I submit last night as exhibit B. Game one of this series against Portland is exhibit A.
* Are all the innings pitched from last season catching up (caught up?) to Colby Lewis? 2nd below norm performance in a row – five innings pitched, four earned runs, four walks and a sub par fastball.
* Now you know why the Mavs acquired Peja Stojakovic at the trade deadline. When he heats up he’s still a cold-blooded sniper. Twenty-one points off the bench with five 3-pointers. Huge energy boost.
* Too bad most probably didn’t stay up for the west coast NHL tilt and see the San Jose Sharks erase a 4-0 deficit to top the Kings 6-5 in OT. The 2nd largest comeback in Stanley Cup Playoff history and an unbelievable hockey game of huge momentum swings. Five goals in the 2nd period for the Sharks is a franchise record.
* Does anyone say less with more words than Kevin McHale? C’mon TNT surely there’s a better option out there.
* The Hawks let Dwight Howard “get his” again (33 points and 19 rebounds). This time it was too much to overcome.
* Carmelo Anthony was out of this world with 42 points, 17 rebounds. But Boston still wins.
* So Roberto Luongo can be beat and beat badly (28 shots on goal, 6 goals). But can he be beat 3 out of the next 4?
* No way Jason Kidd could repeat his standout performance in game 1 again in game 2, right? Wrong. 7-11 from the field for 18 points.
* Dave Bolland had an enormous impact in his return the to Blackhawks lineup after missing 17 games with a concussion (1 goal, 3 assists, +4). Any sightings of Sid The Kid yet?
* So what’s more embarrassing, a Brendan Haywood free throw or an over-the-top screaming Mavs PA announcer repeatedly shouting for fans to get loud and getting absolutely no response from fans riveted to a 71-70 game with a minute left in the third?
Bring on tonight!